Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Quickie Chickie Soup!




I happen to have a lot of sick friends lately. Yes, a lot of my friends are sickos. It makes my life happy to know that I am not the only one.

There are SO many chicken soup recipes (traditional caldo de pollo is one of my favorites!). My Momma has always touted that chicken soup with lots of garlic and ginger is healing. She used to make for me a version called, "Penicillin soup" that she claimed had healing powers. Anytime someone in our family came down with some sort of cold or flu, my Mom would get a phone call (before the internet) begging her for her prized recipe.

This quickie recipe goes out to all you sickos who don't happen to have your own, home made organic chicken stock in your fridge or freezer. I always intend to make it, but it rarely happens. "Bone broth" does have some wonderful healing properties and is what I recommend first and fore most, but in a pinch, this is second best, in my opinion:
I found BIG jars of this at my Costco store. It is a deal if you can buy it that way!

So that  is it, up there ^ , my secret weapon for "in a pinch chicken stock" in any recipe. I love it.

For a small batch of Quickie Chickie Soup (about 4-5 servings) you will need:

Please do not notice that I grabbed the beef flavor instead of the chicken, I did catch it before adding to the water.
1-2 boneless chicken breasts, chopped into thumb nail size pieces (the healthiest chicken you are lucky enough to find)
1 small onion, minced
2-3 cloves minced garlic
6-8 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
8 cups of water (purest water you have access to)
Prepared rice- your choice of grain (I used Thai/Jasmine rice because that's what I had in my freezer from extra after our dinner the other night)

*If you like ginger, use freshly minced if possible, and add into the stock at any point for extra bonus points!

Saute the onion in your choice of healthy oil, butter, or ghee for about 1-2 minutes, then add the garlic, saute one more minute. Add 8 cups of water, 2-3 Tbsp. of the "Better Than Bouillion" paste, according to how salty you like your broth. Bring to a low boil, add carrots, simmer for about 5 min. then add the chicken pieces. Add your rice, and once chicken is cooked through, voila! Easy peasy (Rachel Ray, I can say it if I want to).

Make some and GET WELL!

No comments:

Post a Comment