Monday, January 2, 2012

Favorite Mexican Layer Dip Recipe!

I am not sure if my love of Mexican (American style) food started with my first ever waiting tables job or not....Wait a minute, start over. Yes, my infatuation began when I worked at the only Mexican restaurant for miles....before this, my only exposure to Mexican food was a boxed burrito kit (Old El Paso) and a few tacos from Taco Bell. (If you only knew how much junk food I ate while growing up, you might wonder where I grew to love organic, whole foods!) There isn't much that I will not eat on the menu at a Mexican-style restaurant. Caldo de pollo is always a favorite. So many delicate flavors in one bowl of chicken soup, yummo! Avocados are heaven to me, absolute heaven. I only wish that they could be purchased perfectly ripe when I desire to eat them right away. Lime juice, cilantro, jalapenos, oh my....the melding of so many spices, and fresh flavors, I just love it! My only complaint is the time needed to prepare most of the Mexican style recipes. So much to chop and slice. But, this is what makes it a super fresh, wonderful treat. When I need my Mexican fix, this is a go to that requires little prep and has just enough flavor to get me through until the next big Mexi-feast. It's a naturally gluten free, meat free recipe that I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 can of organic refried beans (your choice)
1 small can, chopped green chilis
1 small chopped tomato
1/2 of green pepper, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
1 avocado, smashed with salt and pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheddar and/or monterey jack cheese
**If you happen to have it (and love it as much as I do) add some freshly chopped cilantro

 Layer in ramekins or small baking dishes, the refried beans, tomatoes, sour cream, the green chilis, green peppers,  the avocado mash and top with the cheese. 
 Place in oven at 350 degrees F for approx. 12 min. Take out and top with any remaining ingredients.
Oh the melty goodness!




 Serve with warmly toasted, organic corn tortilla chips. Ole! 

Find raw cheddar cheese here: Organic, raw cheddar cheese, order here

No comments:

Post a Comment