Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cuckoo for Coconut!

My first memory of coconut is the scent....the scent of sun tan lotion that I would wear as a teenager just so I could smell it! I have always loved coconut's scent and the flavor, but I admit, I have never cracked one open myself. I have always been intimidated by the rather large nut, that looks very hard to crack. Then, what to do with a bunch of fresh coconut? So, the by-products are usually what I find myself buying, eating, and wearing. There are entire blogs dedicated to this one nut. Check out the Coconut Mama. Wow. I thought hemp was versatile, but this nut is pretty amazing!

Great reasons to go coconuts:

*contains high amounts of lauric acid (rarely found anywhere else) that converts into an anti-viral/anti-bacterial/anti-protozoa property.

*coconut oil is nature's richest source of MCFA's (medium-chain fatty acids) similar to the amounts found in human breast milk, which act as a carbohydrate in your body, providing energy without the insulin spike- thereby helping your body burn calories

*great for our hearts

*coconuts have one of the highest fiber contents of any plant food

*acts as a vermifuge (expels parasitic worms)

*supports the thyroid gland

*is great for hair and skin's health

*its sugar and syrups are low on the glycemic index

*its oil is versatile in cooking and baking and superior in health benefits to most other oils

*its flour is a great gluten-free alternative in baking

*its cream is wonderful in smoothies, desserts, and more

Some of my favorite coconut products:
Coconut vinegar (no taste of coconut)
Dairy free, made with coconut milk, organic ice cream, love this stuff!!!
This coconut cream comes in a solid, concentrated form. It's great to add a little here, a little there for whatever recipe (rather than opening a can of coconut milk and not using it all).

Unrefined coconut oil for baking, sauteing, cooking, and moisturizing


Although I have tried coconut sugars and syrups, and I do like them, I have read that the methods for farming the sugars from a coconut palm tree render the trees useless after the harvest. This is not a sustainable practice and I will probably no longer purchase coconut in sugar form. Honey, maple syrup, agave, and "old fashioned" cane sugar will continue to be my sweeteners of choice for now. 

I will be sure to post coconut recipes here and there.....until then, what's YOUR favorite coconut product and why?





No comments:

Post a Comment