Monday, January 2, 2012

Chicken Cordon Bleu-the easy way

Quick, easy, healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu

 The originating recipe was given to me about 10 years ago from a dear friend, Dawn. She would always tease me that dinner did "not always have to be a 3 course meal". 10 years ago I was far from a good cook, in my opinion. I was evolving, still am evolving. But, I always made sure that there was a meat portion, a vegetable, a starch, and usually a dessert (and a starter if there was company). I  imagine most people's dinners have at least these components. Anyway, back to Dawn, another Navy spouse (I was a Navy spouse back then) who knew that cooking dinner with 3 kids in tow, and a husband who was MIA for up to 6 months, turned into less than 3 course meals very quickly. Her rendition of this recipe I have morphed over years, as I do with most every recipe, so as not to get bored. I have also gained more knowledge for healthy alternatives to foods I used to use...so for instance, the original recipe called for cream of chicken soup, but I do not use the traditional brands as these have msg and less than desirable ingredients. 10 years later, I am happy to have discovered an organic, more natural alternative to the condensed chicken soup, mushroom and cream of celery soup- that can allow me (consciously) to make those quick and easy comfort meals that I once prepared. So, without further adieu....

You will need:

1.5 lbs. of boneless chicken breasts (halve recipe if it's only 1 or 2 of you)-choose organic, free range chicken if you can find it

juice of 1/2 lemon

box of cream of chicken or cream of celery soup (click here for the organic version that I like)

1/2 cup heavy organic cream 

6 slices of baby swiss cheese (I prefer Boar's Head brand in the deli of most major grocery stores)

6 slices of ham (again, I like Boar's Head brand-tavern ham)

10 or so stalks of fresh asparagus, washed and trimmed of woody bottoms

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

salt and pepper

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Fry chicken in pan until golden, but leaving pink in the middle, to finish in oven

Prepare chicken breasts: heat a heavy bottom fry pan (on medium) with real butter or a healthy oil of your choice. Pat chicken breasts dry (must do this to attain a golden brown sear) then sprinkle salt and pepper on each side. When fry pan is hot and butter/oil is melted and hot, place chicken breasts in to fry both sides until golden brown. Do not cook through entirely. Set aside.
Mix cream of chicken soup with lemon juice, heavy cream and spices
Layer asparagus stalks over a thin layer of the Cordon Bleu sauce

In a medium sized bowl, mix the entire box of cream of chicken (or celery) in with heavy cream, lemon juice, nutmeg,  salt, and pepper.

In a baking dish, pour about 1/2 cup of the sauce in, then lay the asparagus spears side by side (with some space in between each spear) on top of sauce, then slices of ham on top of asparagus, then add slices of swiss cheese, and then the seared chicken breasts. Pour remainder of sauce on top of the chicken breasts. I find that I like to layer this all in different ways, depending on my mood- so do as you prefer!

Finish in the oven for 15-20 min.

To make it part of a 3 course meal, it goes nice with rice (or quinoa) and a salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment