Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Just say "No" to BPA

This is a picture of the bottle I used for 3 years, religiously. Turns out it wasn't so great for me.
The very bottle that some water comes or is stored in can leach chemicals that are harmful to our bodies. It was only a few years ago, living in Canada, when working so hard to lose all my weight, that I had a big, plastic Nalgene bottle. I carried this bottle with me, full of water, everywhere. I thought I had bought the same bottle, that all health enthusiasts recommended and serious athletes used. I thought I had bought the best water bottle, ever. A couple years after having bought my first Nalgene  bottle, the reports started circulating about the bisphenol A (BPA). There are always opposing sides to every issue. Here is what the pro-BPA side has to say: Facts about BPA (published by the Polycarbonate/BPA Global Group of the American Chemistry Council) and myths according to them: http://factsaboutbpa.org/what-are-the-bpa-mythshttp://factsaboutbpa.org/what-are-the-bpa-myths.  Wow, that was the perfect example of don't believe everything you read. (You don't even have to believe what I write, but just know that I have mine and my family's best interests at stake and I am not a huge corporation based on millions of dollars.) They claim on their website that "Based on several studies on human volunteers, the very small amount of BPA that may be ingested by a person during normal daily activities is efficiently converted to biologically inactive metabolites, which are eliminated from the human body within 24 hours." They lead us to believe that there is absolutely nothing wrong with BPA. At the time of my writing this blog entry, the site actually had a photo of a woman, smiling ear to ear, as she holds a BPA-lined can of soup while grocery shopping. It reminded me of the same feeling I got when I saw this old ad:
This ad is a hoax, but I almost believed it was for real!


Now for what the Cons say: Here is what WebMD had to say about BPA  (click here). And here is an article with information on side effects and how to reverse the effects of BPA naturally (click here).

The latter article mentions 3 natural ways to combat BPA's effects or even presence in the body:

#1- Organic Black Tea





#2- Probiotics

Preferably from a whole food source like cultured dairy (Kefir). Amasai (click here for more info.) is from happy cows that eat organic green grass in acres of pastures.

#3-Melatonin
 I liked this brand and flavor (peppermint) although they make orange flavor too. Sub-lingual (under the tongue) formulas work better than swallow-able tablets.

Our family's health is my most important agenda and I choose to believe what makes sense to me. Even if it's true that some of the BPA passes through the body, BPA is still a chemical, that can be ingested into a human's body and linger around. In fact, it's estimated that 90% of us have BPA in our system. That's only ONE chemical. Think of all the other chemicals we encounter and ingest daily. I don't believe our bodies are meant to be storing or metabolizing these chemicals on a daily basis. I prefer to err on the side of caution and just avoid the darn stuff as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment