Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chicken Bellagio

The amazing part is that this can all be made gluten free!

I grew up in a very small town. The only restaurants were Mom and Pop types, with the exception of one McDonald's. What town doesn't have one of these (unfortunately)? My Mom raised me by herself (after rearing 4 older boys, Amen.) and had barely enough energy after a long day's work, to go grocery shopping, let alone come home to cook a meal and clean up after it. So, we ate out. A lot.

Fast forward 15 years, during my first few years of marriage, we had moved to several different places. I remember looking in the phone book of Pensacola, Florida and gasping at the 15+ McDonald's listed in the Yellow Pages. Where I am going with this is that my initial love for chain restaurants came with my new exposure to them. Applebee's, Chili's, Outback, Olive Garden, etc.....all of these were so wonderful to my virgin, chain restaurant going self. Now, I won't go to these places without a blindfold and pretty much a gun to my head. I will sacrifice for a trip to Olive Garden very rarely only because my eldest daughter loves it so much and we tend to treat her on her birthday. I wasn't a fan of Chik Fil A and Five Guys (again, limited exposure to these) until a few years ago, but that is waning also. Enter, CHEESCAKE FACTORY (Angels singing "Hallelujah"). I know, I know....it's still a chain and it's still "junk" food. However, if I am going to have to eat while out and about, and there happens to be one in the vicinity, I am there. The spiral bound book of a menu, the variety of meals from Asian, to Mexican, to home-style cooking, never mind the bazillion types of amazing cheesecake.....and it all tastes GOOD! So here it is, my rendition of "Chicken Bellagio", a favorite of mine (one of too many) from the Cheesecake Factory. Here's to you Lyssa, my Chicken Bellagio buddy.....and to you, my brother, Scot, for the wonderful trips we've made there and the many gift cards you have furnished us for there!

(This recipe is made without wheat based flour, but you can sub any flour, including white/wheat if you so desire)

CHICKEN BELLAGIO (Cheesecake Factory inspired)

This is for 6 servings- so halve the recipe if you desire. Leftovers are yummy too!

3 boneless chicken breasts, sliced into 6 filets by cutting breasts into thin halves
(like cutting a deck of cards in half)- some pound the chicken, but I prefer to skip this step
6 slices Prosciutto


Breading:
1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour mix (or your choice of flour)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp. sea salt
2 tsp. cracked pepper
1 Tbsp. oregano
3 large eggs, beaten
splash of milk

Sauce:
1 pint heavy whipping cream
6 Tbsp. prepared pesto sauce (your choice, I used Buitoni's, makes it easier and tastes great)
2/3 cup Pecorino or Reggiano Parmesan (Pecorino is from sheep's milk, Reggiano is from cow's milk)
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp pepper

Pasta and the rest:

Angel hair pasta- enough for 6 servings (use this brand for wheat free pasta: Ancient Harvest Quinoa )
3 Tbsp. prepared pesto for prepared pasta
1 stick of butter, for frying, and extra for the prepared pasta
3-4 Tbsp. olive oil for prepared pasta
3 cups Arugula, washed
1/2 cup grated, fresh Parmesan for topping

*In a container, mix flour, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and oregano. In another container, whisk eggs and splash of milk. Set two together as a station.
Here is my egg wash and flour dredging station
 Heat heavy pan on medium heat, add 2 Tbsp. butter. Coat chicken breast in flour mix, then egg mixture, then dredge in flour mixture again. Place in hot butter and fry each side until golden (adding more butter as needed). You will need to fry in batches, cleaning pan with paper towel (see my photo) in between. Then place in a baking dish. Finish in oven at 375 degrees F for 10 min. to ensure the middle is cooked thoroughly (but not too dry!) Check one piece to see if it is cooked before taking out of oven.

I used gluten free flour for this and look how yummy, golden brown it is!

I use my tongs and a paper towel to wipe up in between batches. This helps avoid any burnt bits on the subsequent batches.

Pasta and Prosciutto: While chicken finishes in the oven, boil your pasta according to directions. Lightly fry the Prosciutto slices in pan with small amounts of butter. Save aside. Make cream sauce next.

Sauce: Heat heavy cream until hot in sauce pan, add the pesto sauce and whisk. Add salt and pepper. As sauce begins to thicken, add the Parmesan cheese while whisking constantly to incorporate. Continue until mixture thickens then reduce to very low/warm until ready to serve.

Assembly: After draining pasta, add the 3 Tbsp. prepared pesto, add 3 Tbsp. butter and 3 Tbsp. (or more if you'd like) of olive oil. Toss well. Place 1/2 cup of Arugula on plate, top with a serving of prepared pasta, 1/3 cup of cream sauce, one of the chicken filets, the lightly fried Prosciutto, and freshly grated Parmesan.

The peppery flavor of the arugula truly compliments the Parmesan sauce and all the flavors of this dish, don't skip it!


I cannot tell you how impressed I was with myself. This could almost pass in a blind taste test for the real thing. Try it yourself and tell me if you agree! Excuse me, I have some leftovers calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment